Zermatt is located at the foot of the world famous Matterhorn. The territory of the municipality of Zermatt was settled even before the birth of Christ, because the area around the Matterhorn was then ice-free and the Theodul mountain pass was walkable. Zermatt is mentioned in a document for the first time at around 1280 with the Latin name Pratobornum, which translates as "meadow in the (water) spring area" means. The present name Zermatt results from the adjusted "Prato Borni". This name is also seen still today in the coat of arms of the municipality of Zermatt. In the 19th century, thanks to the British alpinists, the people of Zermatt built the first hotels. This early alpinism culminated in the dramatic ascent of the Matterhorn in 1865 by Edward Whymper, led by the Zermatt mountain guides father and son Peter Taugwalder. The broken rope from the first ascent can be examined at the the Matterhorn Museum. In the years after, Zermatt developed rapidly, and in 1931 the municipality decided to banish the individual private transport in the streets of Zermatt. Today only quiet electric vehicles are allowed to drive in Zermatt and also because of them, Zermatt has this clean and dry air.
Of the 54 Swiss mountains with an altitude of over 4000 meters above sea level, 38 are located at Zermatt. This makes Zermatt the high alpine heart of the Swiss Alps. Due to the cable car to the Klein Matterhorn you can easily reach a height of almost 4000 meters above sea level. The ski area provides together with the partner ski resort on the Italian part, Breuil-Cervinia, 300 km well-maintained slopes. In the summer, hikers will find developed paths of 400 km in and around Zermatt.